Sunday, June 13, 2010

Announcement: A Name Change


I'd like to announce that Kadin will no longer be going by his name. He has decided that "Kadin" is not suitable. We have frequent interactions with 7 other Kadins in our life, and our little guy is tired of being confused. For a while we tried calling him his old nick name, Hunkey, when other Kadins were present, but he has repeatedly told us that he'd like to be done with that stage of his life as well. So, we were talking about other names that he could choose.  I told him about how when we were in the hospital when he was born, Matt and I could not decide if we should name him Kadin or Bryce.  We were sitting there all packed and ready to go home, but we couldn't leave until we had filled out the birth certificate information.  (Otherwise we would have had to go to the courthouse later and pay $ to make an official change from "Baby Boy Tanner" to his real name on the birth certificate record.)  Anyway, after his siblings and I suggested countless other names, he said that Bryce was what he liked best.  Then we had to show him all the different ways it was spelled, and he chose to spell it with a y, "Because I already had practice writing lots of "i"s in the middle of my name"  is what he explained. 

Not everyone in the family is cooperating with this change, and some of us try to comply, but forget.  I don't know which will happen -- either we will get used to the new name, and it will stick, or he will get over this little whim, and go back to being Kadin.  I'll keep you posted.





Also, as if changing his name is not drastic enough, he has also decided that he wants to grow his hair out.  He has told me repeatedly how he wants it to look.  (All one length and slightly above the bottom of his ears.)  Everyday, Matt askes him if he is ready for a haircut, and Kadin Bryce just ignores the teasing.  He is very determined to accomplilsh this hair style.  In fact, he has started combing it out himself every morning, and is more faithful about brushing his hair again at night than he is in brushing his teeth at bed time.  Matt tells him to go brush his teeth, and then in a few minutes comes into the bathroom to check his progress and finds the child combing his hair.  I'm a bit worried about his teenage years.  He is already very particular about what he wears, and has very definite fashion oppinions.  Kaylee says he is going to be really vain.  I'm just pleased to have a child that actually cares about thier appearance.  I have had to beg and/or threaten the first 4 to shower, wear clean, matching clothes and brush thier hair.  Some of the older ones still couldn't care less about clothes and hair.  It is hard to look like a perfect mother when your children look like urchins.  Maybe Bryce will help to  restore my image.  (But I fear it might be too late.) 

I just thought everyone would like to know about this important new identity development.  Has anyone else ever been through this?  What was the outcome? 

1 comment:

  1. I will name him O'dell Lisa won't let me use that name for any of our kids.


    cousin dan

    ReplyDelete

Our Family

Our Family