Friday, February 13, 2009

KayBee the poet

As the final project in a long and tedious poetry unit, KayBee had a assignment to compile a book of 20 poems. She needed to have 12 from other people and 8 original compositions - using the different styles they had learned about. She also had to recite one from memory. Of course she spent the week reading. Ahhem, "researching." However she did not start compiling until the evening before it was due. It was a late night and an early morning as she scrambled to finish. It became a family project. For those of you who don't know (like me) a Bio-poem follows a specific structure of describing certain aspects about a person. It seems rather dumb to me, but she had to write one. I thought it was cute that she did her brother. You can see that as the time was short, and she was feeling annoyed at the forced creativity, she got a bit tongue-in-cheek with a few of her offerings. The last one she wrote in the car on the way to school!

Here are some of the things she (we) came up with:

Double Sneaking

Once upon a midnight, dreary

I sat up reading

Eyes all bleary.


Mother came and saw the light.

I knew I was in

For a great fight.


“Stop that reading! Stop right now!”

“Ok. Fine Mom,

Don’t have a cow!”


Grouchily, she went back to bed

I just laughed

And shook my head.


Back to the pages I turned with glee.

Lost in a world -

Just the story and me.


But wait, what was that smallish sound?

I rose from my bed,

Looked, and found!


My mother laughing under covers tight

Reading with

Her own flashlight!



Free Verse

I write

Hours on end

Scribbling by candlelight.

I write

Pouring out my soul.

My emotions bleed

Onto the page.

My poems are full

Of deeper meaning,

Theme,

And Literary Tequniqe.

8th graders

will analyze my works-

awed by such thought provoking

magnificence.

I dream of fame, glory, fortune.

My works will be esteemed

Among the classics.

My poems are priceless -

The manuscripts will be worth

Millions of dollars.

But only my mother

Sees my genius.

The only way

My poems are spread

far and wide

Is if I give them away.

No wonder they call it

Free Verse



Quatrain at 1:00 am

I was going to write an epic,

But having little time,

I decided simple was better

And so I wrote this rhyme



I Hate Haiku

Haiku. Lousy form.

Unnatural and strangely

Exasperating.


Bio-Poem of Brother (blog name used for this publishing purpose)

Brother

Funny, Talkative, Athletic, and Kind

Relative of Flyin’ Tomato

Who loves legos

Who feels annoyed by sisters

Who needs more legos

Who fears slobbery kisses

Who gives white-washes

Who would like to see a mountain of legos, Alaska, and the meaning of grammar class

Resident of the Bonus Room

Tanner



Early Morning Acrostic

Every day my

Alarm clock

Rings.

Leaving my warm covers

Yelling about who took all the hot water


Mush for breakfast

Orange juice

Running out the door

No shoes and coat

Impossible to be on time

Now the car won’t start

Get to school just as the bell rings

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Family

Our Family