Monday, February 15, 2010

It was not Baxter!

Here is chapter 2 of our stray cat story.

We left off with "Baxter" returning to his place on our back porch, shortly after the kids returned him to his owner -- the next door neighbor. The cat spent the night at our house, and this morning was again begging for food and acting desperate to be let inside and loved. As soon as we noticed our neighbor returning from work in the afternoon, Kaylee took the cat over to see why they had been so negligent with him. He laughed and explained that it was actually not their cat. He called his cat to come, and sure enough, a cat looking almost identical to our stray appeared from their living room. He told the kids how funny it was when, after he had brought the cat inside, the true Baxter had come into the room to check out who the new visitor was. Of course, when Marty realized his mistake, the imposter was promptly put back outside.

So now we are still stuck with an alpha male cat, who periodically tries to push Duma around. The kids have visited yet another neighborhood -- going house to house. We checked the newspaper for adds about lost cats. Nothing. What are we going to do? I think I am the only one who truly wants to find the thing his real home. Everyone else is back to discussing suitable names, and asking when I 'll take him to the vet. Although I wouldn't classify this as a "trial" it is definitely a distraction that is taking up time and brain power that I had not planned on allocating for such a use.

Keep your fingers crossed for us (and the cat) that we can find a happy end to this story soon!

2 comments:

  1. How about the pound? :) I am not a cat person, but proud of you for entering the animal kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. um, they just put the poor kitty back outside? They didn't think to ask if you wanted him back? I vote keep him. Two kittes are better than one because they'll keep each other company. I've got no imaginary names for you...I'll let you know if I can think of anything (but with names like Burt and Pumba, I'm not sure you'd want my help:))

    ReplyDelete

Our Family

Our Family