Thursday, April 23, 2009

Swallow the Elders

Wow! I didn't realize it has been so long since I have written something. So here is a small paragraph to satisfy my need for typing stories, and the grandparent's need to hear them:

During scripture study Hunkey frequently blurts out unrelated things. It is really obvious that his brain is not on what we are reading. Lately, when he raises his hand or starts to talk, we ask him, "Is this related to the scriptures we are reading?" Thankfully, he has gotten way better at sticking to the topic. So we were surprised the other night when he suddenly raised his hand and said, "Why did they swallow all the Elders?" I thought he was trying to be silly and break up the boringness. We all looked at him baffled and a bit annoyed. Then I kind of heard in my mind the last few sentences that Peachy had read. I asked her to re-read what she had just read. She started, and this is the part that made us all start to laugh: ". . .and so all of the elders. . . " She had been droning on and reading a bit sloppily. Poor Hunkey. Sometimes I wonder what other wild and crazy ideas the kids must be getting from the unfamiliar wording in the scriptures. I have to admit that I was delighted that he was listening, and that he cared enough to clarify when something seemed really wonkey! Maybe I could get the kids to tell me all thier strange interpretations and I could write a translation of the Bible called, "The New Children's Version. I bet it would introduce all kinds of interesting stories and new doctrine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Family

Our Family